If someone were to ask you the average age of a Facebook user, what would you say? 18, 19, 20?
Five years ago, you wouldn't be too far off. In 2005, you had to belong to an academic institution in the United States, Canada or other English-speaking country to have access to a Facebook account. Today, Facebook has over 500 million active users and is translated in over 70 languages.
According to 2010 data, the average age of a Facebook user is 38 years old. They have approximately 130 friends and "like" nine different brands. Good news for your company? It certainly could be.
- 40% to receive discounts and promotions
- 39% to show my support for the company to others
- 36% to get a "freebie"
- 34% to stay informed about the activities of the company
- 33% to get updates on future products
- 30% to get updates on upcoming sales
- 29% for fun or entertainment
- 25% to get access to exclusive content
- 22% someone recommended it to me
- 21% to learn more about the company
- 13% for education about company topics
- 13% to interact
Having these insights could potentially benefit both you as a small business owner and marketer. You can use ExactTarget's findings to create your own online strategy.
If you have a new product, you could reward your fans with a free trial. Or if you are a business with active developments, you can keep your consumers up-to-date with frequent status updates. There are many ways to interact directly with your consumer. Use your imagination; get creative. The opportunities are endless.
If your company is not on Facebook, now may be the time.